After surgery, you will be moved to our fully equipped recovery room, where you will remain under close observation by an anesthesiologist and our recovery nurses until you are ready to go to our recovery lounge. Although the length of stay post-operatively varies according to the type of procedure and your surgeon's instructions, many patients are discharged 1-2 hours after surgery.
Your surgeon will provide post-operative instructions regarding diet, rest and medications. The Center will provide you with a written summary of these instructions.
Since it is normal to feel drowsy after receiving an anesthetic, we also recommend that you postpone the following activities for 24 hours after discharge:
- Driving and operating equipment
- Signing important papers or documents
- Making significant decisions
- Drinking alcoholic beverages or taking any drug without your physicians approval
- You will also be receiving a postoperative call from one of you discharge nurses to check your progress and answer any questions you may have.